A Complete Guide To Effective Ant Control For Gaithersburg Homes
March 15, 2022
Ants are curious pests, aren't they? When you find them crawling around all over your driveway or scaling the frame around an exterior door, it can make you wonder what attracts them to your home. It is important to get the answer to this question because it can help you get control of ant problems and keep ants from getting into your home. Let's look at a few common Gaithersburg ants and discuss some natural ways to get control of ants in your house and yard.
Common Species Of Home-Invading Ants In Gaithersburg
The most common ants our technicians see are odorous house ants, pavement ants, black ants, sugar ants, and carpenter ants. These ants are attracted to homes by food, water, and harborage. Examples of food sources are nectar, honeydew, insects (alive and dead), seeds, nuts, garbage, and hummingbird feeders.
Water sources are puddles and objects that collect rainwater. Harborage areas are leaf piles, stacked wood, dead branches, rocks, bricks, toys, lawn equipment, etc. If your yard has food, water, or harborage, you're going to have more problems with ants. Indoor ant control starts with outdoor ant control.
The Problems An Ant Infestation In Your Home Can Create
Most of the time, ants are just a nuisance. This is because they come into homes in large numbers and get into stuff. But it is important to understand that ants might make you sick and that some ants can damage your home. This makes ant control in your house essential.
Five Eco-Friendly Ant Prevention Tips For Around The House
Okay. So, how do you keep ants out of your house? Here are our five best suggestions for natural, DIY ant pest control:
- Address the attractants listed above. The first step in any natural ant-prevention strategy is to remove food, water, and harborage attractants.
- Replace weatherstripping, door sweeps, and screens that don't provide a good seal. These provide physical barriers to deter ants from getting inside.
- Use a caulking gun to fill in holes and seal gaps in your exterior. Many ant species are attracted to rotting wood and damage caused by moisture issues. This step targets this weakness.
- Keep your home free of organic debris and clean juice spills up immediately. This prevents ant workers from recruiting other workers to come into your home.
- Fix leaky faucets and pipes and address humid spaces in your home. Ants are strongly attracted to damp and humid spaces.
This is a three-step process. You remove attractants to reduce ant activity near your home. You seal your exterior to make it more difficult for ants to get inside. You keep your home clean and free of moisture to keep ants from finding what they're looking for if they do get inside your home.
Together, these can provide effective ant control and reduce ant problems to a level that is well below your threshold of comfort. If ant pressures are high or conditions around your home make pest maintenance difficult, contact Absolute Home And Pest Solutions for ant control solutions in Gaithersburg.
The Most Effective Way To Keep Ants Away From Your House
At Absolute Home And Pest Solutions, our pest professionals use advanced ant control products and methods to target colonies around or inside your home. When applied by a trained home pest control professional, ant control products can reduce ant populations around your home and give you the best possible ant prevention for the interior of your home.
Do you have questions? We'd be happy to answer them. Would you like to request service? We can help you with that too. Reach out to us today for effective ant pest control in Gaithersburg. We're standing by to help.