What are cockroaches?
There are thousands of different species of cockroaches that live worldwide. These scavengers are helpful, their feeding habits helping them to get rid of decaying matter.
However, a few have made themselves known as common household pests and learned to survive by living near or with people. In Maryland, if you have a problem with cockroaches in your home or business, it is likely one of the following three species:
- American cockroaches: These are large cockroaches that are brownish-red in color. These roaches have wings and can fly short distances. They also have a yellowish, figure-eight-like marking on the back of their heads.
- German cockroaches: These small, fast-moving cockroaches are common to find in our homes and businesses. They have light brown bodies with two horizontal black stripes behind their heads.
- Oriental cockroaches: These cockroaches have dark, black bodies that are shiny or greasy appearing. They have a more beetle-like appearance than other cockroaches and are much slower-moving.
The best way to know what type of roach is scurrying through your home is to contact a professional who can accurately identify the species.
Are cockroaches dangerous?
There is a laundry list of dangers associated with cockroaches which is why these pests are so unwanted in our homes.
- Cockroaches spread pathogens that can make people ill and cause gastrointestinal problems.
- Cockroaches carry and spread parasites.
- These insects are prolific breeders and live in homes in large difficult-to-manage numbers.
- A cockroach infestation puts many allergens into the air that can cause skin rashes, cold symptoms, breathing difficulties, and asthma attacks.
- When cockroaches are in our homes, they contaminate food sources, cause food waste, and stain walls and upholstery with their excrement.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
Like the American cockroach and Oriental cockroach, many cockroaches live quite successfully outdoors in Maryland. However, these roaches don't just stay outside and regularly find their way into our homes while searching for food and water.
On the other hand, the German cockroach has adapted to living indoors, calling our homes, restaurants, grocery stores, and food storage facilities home. They move from place to place in furniture, appliances, electronics, and cardboard boxes.
Cockroaches will move from unit to unit through vents, cracks in ceilings, and gaps under doors in apartment buildings, and their flat oval bodies enable them to squeeze through the tightest spaces and into any of our homes.
Where will I find cockroaches?
To know where you will find cockroaches, your first need to understand what cockroaches are like. A few of the cockroach's favorite things are dampness, darkness, newspapers, cardboard, and of course, food!
When cockroaches have found their way into a home, they are most likely to gather in kitchens, bathrooms, basements, crawl spaces, above ceilings, and behind cabinets and large appliances. Oriental cockroaches, more than the other species, prefer to live near sources of water and are regularly found near drains, pipes, sinks, toilets, and tubs.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
Reaching out to us at Absolute Home and Pest Solutions is the best way to eliminate cockroaches in your home and prevent future problems with these dangerous pests.
With over 20 years of experience, we know that pest control doesn't have a one-size-fits-all solution, which is why we customize pest control plans for each of our customers! Whether you are looking for a single service, monthly services, or quarterly services, we can provide you with the exact services necessary to solve your property's pest problems. Learn more about cockroaches in this blog "How To Get Rid Of Roaches In Your Gaithersburg Home" or call today to learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control options.
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
Use the following suggestions to help keep cockroaches from taking over your Maryland property:
- Keep cockroaches from moving into your home through defects in the exterior by installing weatherstripping around windows and doors, sealing cracks in the foundation, and placing door sweeps on all exterior doors. Place mesh covers over drains and vents entering your home.
- Eliminate food that cockroaches can feed on inside or outside your home by keeping lids on trash cans and recycling bins. Maintaining a clean kitchen, regularly vacuuming your home, and wiping down surfaces frequently are also essential.
- Most cockroaches gravitate to moisture, so doing things like repairing leaky pipes and using dehumidifiers and air conditioners can make your home less appealing to these pests.
- Since cockroaches regularly hitchhike from place to place, it is important to always inspect furniture, boxes, bags, and deliveries for cockroaches before bringing them into your home.
For the best protection against cockroaches and other common household pests, Absolute Home and Pest Solutions is your pest control answer!
Chris was very professional and knowledgeable. He listened to my concerns and understood my apprehension due to negative experiences with a well known home improvement company. He assured me that my experience would be a positive one. He didn’t lie! Chris and his team exceeded my expectations. I would highly recommend this company.